As I relayed to you guys in my Latest Diablo 3 Auction House Info post Blizzard have updated their auction house guide. It was down for a while but popped up at approximately 17:30 BST (British Summer Time) May 1st. It contains some very interesting information and I recommend you guys check it out. In particular you might want to read the ‘Payment Methods’ section:
A variety of methods are available to buy and sell items in the real-money auction house:
BATTLE.NET BALANCE: Your Battle.net Balance is a value stored in your Battle.net account. In addition to bidding on Diablo III auctions, your balance can be used to buy select Blizzard Entertainment digital products directly through Battle.net. See the Battle.net Balance FAQ for more information.
Battle.net Balance is available to buy and sell items in the following real-money auction houses:
The Americas: USD, MXN, AUD, BRL, CLP, ARS
Europe: EUR, GBP, RUBPAYPAL: In certain regions, you can link your Battle.net account to a PayPal account and use it to buy items and receive proceeds from auctions (a 15% transfer fee applies to the latter).
PayPal is available as a method to buy and sell items only in the following real-money auction houses:
The Americas: USD, MXN, AUD
Europe: EUR, GBPCREDIT CARDS (PURCHASES ONLY): You can also use a variety of major credit cards you’ve entered as payment methods in Battle.net Account Management to make auction house purchases.
For more information on accepted payment methods in your region, see the FAQ.
Read the FAQs too, there’s a wealth of information in there. Here’s a summary of the overall changes that have come out the past few days (mostly from my reading of the FAQs but also some additional sources which are linked):
- Items such as armor and weapons have a $1 fee when sold (check the general FAQ for region specific transaction fees).
- Commodities such as gems, materials and gold have a 15% fee when sold.
- The cash out fee (to Paypal) is 15%. (Source - also not all countries in a region will get a cash out service regional FAQ).
- RMAH will not open with launch but roughly a week later.
- An Item cannot be bought via buyout OR bid for over $250. (Source)
- No character sales to begin with.
- If your Battle.net Balance exceeds a limit (100 euro or regional equivalent), you’ll have to attach an authenticator (I recommend doing this anyway).
- You have to sign up for the Mobile Alerts service to use PayPal to buy or sell items in the Diablo 3 RMAH (or just to cash out – I also recommend this anyway).
I’ve recommended a few things at the bottom which, depending on how you use the auction house, perhaps aren’t necessary. However the fact that your account can be used to create cash and move cash around is going to be the next, major, online scam.
Keep your accounts secure guys. If you’ve played World of Warcraft and maybe had your account compromised or felt that the news of compromised accounts was on the increase you’ll know what I mean. My prediction is “we ain’t seen nothing yet”.